My quest for Parisian cool...
With a quick trip to Paris in the diary for this week, it made me ponder why those French girls are so damn cool.
I travel to the four fashion capitals of the world twice a year for the shows and find each city has its ‘look’ . The English are quirky, the Italians are glamorous, the New Yorkers are polished and the French as just downright cool.
But what is it that gives them that je ne sais quoi?
Always nonchalant, always confident, always sexy and with an air of mystery… I've decided I need some of that in my life. So I went on a quest to discover how and if I could possibly be a little more Parisian.
Here are my top Parisian style tips...
1. Wear a black bra under your white blouse. (NB it should be lacy – and not a sports bra!)
2. Never wear sweatpants. (Leggings will just about pass.)
3. Oversize sunglasses are an every-day essential, even when it’s raining. As well as creating mystery, they hide a multitude of sins – the hangover, the break-up tears and, of course, the sun.
Above: Francoise Hardy
4. Buy a classic trench coat. Wear it with or without something on underneath. (Ooh la la!)
Above: Catherine Deneuve
5. Wear said trench coat with a thick scarf as the trench coat isn’t going to keep you warm.
6. Ballet flats are a wardrobe staple (so much chicer than slippers.)
7. An oversize sweater slipping off the shoulder to reveal just a little bit of skin. (Make sure it’s cashmere.)
8. Jeans – any time, anywhere and any way.
Above: Jane Birkin
9. A classic (preferably oversize) white shirt is a must-have – one that belonged to an ex-boyfriend, now worn with a new boyfriend. Make sure you keep an extra button undone.
Above: Ines De La Fressange
WATCH: Arabella's Paris Fashion Week Diary...