As the quote goes, ‘dreams do come true if only you wish hard enough’...
And what have I been dreaming about for a while now? Wearing my running leggings to work! Is it the inner slob in me? Is it the comfort? I was even considering a career change to a job where I could wear them all day. But being a gym bunny or yoga teacher when I can hardly touch my toes isn't really an option.
But then trust the fabulous Phoebe Philo to be my fairy godmother and come to the rescue. As I sat watching the AW16 Celine show in Paris back in March, pretty much every look was styled with extremely chic and totally technically correct running leggings. Be still my beating heart. There was the inspiration I needed. There were also versions at Valentino and if you’re after a stirrup leggings (ski pant) then Versace too.
We have been wearing trainers as part of our everyday wardrobe for a while now. With the Athleisure trend on the rise and workout gear becoming the standard weekend wardrobe, maybe it's time to take it one step further and integrate it into your working one too.
But can you really wear them to work? I spent the last week testing out this trend with my everyday wardrobe. This is the lazy (working) girl's guide to comfort dressing… now you can go from the gym to the office and straight out for the night.
1. This is not time to bust out your Day-Glo floral prints leggings. Keep them black. And stay away from branding and logos.
2. Keep it simple. A monochrome palate works well.
3. Keep the trainers for the weekend. Proper shoes make this smarter.
4. If you want to add a pop of colour then add bright accessories.
5. Love your LBD, try it with your leggings for a new twist. Make sure they are proper running leggings. Footless tights won’t work. A zip detail at the bottom can work well too.
Arabella wears; leggings, Sweaty Betty; dress, Dolce Gabbana; shoes, Manolo Blahnik