On Meryl Streep's birthday, we run down the best quotes from the ultimate fash film - complete with GIFs
It's definitely hard to believe that it has been a whole NINE years since The Devil Wears Prada hit the big screen - and the rest is history. It was the start of Anne Hathaway’s grown-up career (while The Princess Diaries is a cinematic classic, she’s spoke tirelessly about being more than Mia Thermopolis), it reaffirmed our love for Meryl Streep, AND it shot Emily Blunt to fame.
While she was a relative unknown in comparison to the film’s leading ladies, Emily cemented her on-screen presence by having to speak some of the movie’s most infamous lines, which remain some of our favourite Devil Wears Prada quotes to this day.
The 32-year-old actress revealed that one of the best one liners from the flick wasn’t written in the script, but was something she overheard from a very unlikely source… an irritable mum shopping in a supermarket.
In an interview on Howard Stern's Sirius program she said: ‘I like to soak up people on the street. I guess I steal from people I meet. Like, I saw a mother speaking to her child in a supermarket when we were shooting that film. And it’s a line that gets quoted back to me now. She yelled at her kid and she kind of opened and closed her hand and she goes [in harsh American accent], “Yeah, I’m hearing this, and I want to hear this.” I went and put it in a movie, when Anne Hathaway is kind of talking to me, and I just told her that [to make her shut up].’
And here’s that now iconic moment in all its glory…
So, to honour the gloriousness that is the ultimate fashion film, we’ve whittled down our favourite Devil Wears Prada quotes ever. Take it away, Em!
1. ‘I’m sorry, do you have some prior commitment? Some hideous skirt convention you have to go to?’ Emily Chalton (played by Emily Blunt)
2. ‘Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking.’ Miranda Priestly (played by Meryl Streep)
3. ‘By all means, move at a glacial pace. You know how that thrills me.’ Miranda
4. ‘Ok, can you spell Gabbana?’ Andy Sachs (played by Anne Hathaway)
5. ‘Yes, because that’s really what this whole multibillion-dollar industry is all about, isn’t it? Inner beauty.’ Nigel (played by Stanley Tucci)
6. ‘I need 10 or 15 skirts from Calvin Klein.’ [Andy—‘What kind of skirts?] ‘Please, bore someone else with your questions.’ Miranda
7. ‘You know what just kills me, is the clothes you are going to get. I mean, you don’t deserve them, you eat carbs for Christ’s sake. CARBS! It’s so unfair!’ Emily
8. ‘Alright everyone, gird your loins!’ Nigel
9. ‘Don’t make me feed you to one of the models.’ Nigel
10. ‘I refuse to be sick—I’m wearing Valentino for crying out loud.’ Emily
11. ‘You sold your soul to the devil when you put on your first pair of Jimmy Choos. I saw it.’ Emily
12. ‘Who is that sad little person? Are we doing a before-and-after piece I don’t know about?’ Nigel
13. ‘You know, I rarely say this to people who... aren't me, but you have got to calm down! Bloody hell...’ Emily
14. ‘You do know that cellulite is one of the main ingredients in corn chowder.’ Nigel
15. 'I'm one stomach flu away from my goal weight.' Emily
Read more: The 37 most brilliant Sex and the City quotes of all time...
16. ‘Let me know when your whole life goes up in smoke. That means it's time for a promotion.’ Nigel
17. ‘That’s all.’ Miranda