How many summer wedding guest dresses have you lusted over? Chances are that the dress that caught your eye during THAT dull best man speech about the ‘ladish stag do lolz,’ was a Self Portrait dress. Since Self Portrait’s inception in 2013, the man behind those cutting edge cocktail dresses, Han Chong has redefined the way we view one step dressing with a price tag that has brought an element of democracy back to dressing sensationally.
Chong, who despite believing that, “fashion is not just for the super rich. I want normal women to have their own fashion moment,” has dressed Beyonce and Michelle Obama but was brought to tears when Kate Middleton wore his floor length bridal dress on the red carpet.
So who could be better positioned to tell you how to style yourself for all those seasonal occasions than Mr Summer Dresses himself? Prepare to turn heads ladies…
1. “As a guest at a wedding you want enough attention but you don’t want to steal the bride’s show. You need a good balance. When I design I’m thinking of how I can give a woman just the right balance between being sexy and not too slutty, classy but still not boring.”
2. “You don’t wasn’t a dress that says, ‘I’ve got a new dress and nobody even looked at me.’ I’m always thinking if I bought a new dress for a party and nobody noticed me wearing a new dress that would be so sad!”
3. “You need a good entrance moment. You want good attention you don’t want to just be, ‘oh!’ You want people to say, ‘wow!’ So the whole thing needs to be balanced out especially with the makeup and the hair. Don’t be too OTT but make sure you have your, ‘Hi I’m here,’ moment.”
4. “For brides its your biggest day you should have fun! The modern bride is all about having fun at their wedding. I always find that if you wear a big dress, they are beautiful but you can’t eat, you can’t move and you can’t go to the toilet. So, wear what makes you feel most comfortable and feel good.”
5. “At the races the horses aren’t the only ones in competition. So many other women are going to be there - I think women are very sensitive, and are the ones that appreciate your style. I think a lot about what women want when they are dressing up and how they want to feel. When I design I think of how they feel on that occasion and how she wants people to perceive her. I think of being in her shoes when I am designing. Is she revealing too much? Is she not showing enough?
6. “It’s all about the reveal and conceal. I only show off the most flattering parts of the body. So even with a cut out look for the most flattering cut - it’s best to let people imagine.”
Chong doesn’t just confine himself to cocktail dresses. In recent seasons the designer has grown in maturity and shown he has more up his sleeve than a little lace. With the introduction of shirts which make the humble stripe seem revolutionary, skirts that shameless bare but don’t care and now a shoe collection with Robert Clergerie that manages to take the low block heel out of W.I. territory with industrial hardware.
Speaking about his latest collaboration the designer was enfused by his foray into footwear, “I’m a bit of a control freak so I want everything to be quite perfect before I branch into anything new. But working with Robert Clergerie and in particular, Roland Mouret (the brand’s creative director), has brought a new point of view to my designs. I think the shoes are super inspiring.”
Let’s all just take a moment to bow down at the feet of fashion’s most democratic designer, whose sassy styling advice is only out done by his Self Portrait summer dresses.
Here is our edit of the six best Self Portrait pieces that will lift your summer look...
Self-Portrait Cut Out Dress
Robert Clergerie x Self Portrait pointed toe backless flats
Available at Robert Clergerie x Self Portrait at Matchesfashion.com | £350
Self Portrait one shoulder blue stripe shirt
Self Portrait available at Self-Portrait at MatchesFashion.com | £240
Self-Portrait Wedding Dress
Self Portrait available at Self-Portrait at Matchesfashion.com | £750
Self-Portrait Red Stripe One Shoulder Dress
Self Portrait available at Self Portrait at Matchesfashion.com | £320
Robert Clergerie x Self-Portrait Suede Heeled Sandals
Available at Robert Clergerie x Self-Portrait at Matchesfashion.com | £490
We will see you at the summer events, ladies!