So what does the ridiculously gorgeous Eva Mendes feel is the secret to a good relationship? ‘You can’t do sweatpants ladies..number one cause of divorce in America, sweatpants’. You heard it from her – say no to the sweatpant. Not even whilst we’re watching Saturday Kitchen with a hangover. Not for a midnight trip down to the garage to buy a pint of semi-skimmed. And especially not before bedtime teamed with an egg stained t-shirt saying Babelicious. You have to salute Eva for her failsafe old skool approach with Ryan - we’re talking towering heels and Dolce Vita shades and full on blow dries and impossibly chic belted coats even for a casual Sunday stroll. And big up to her, it’s working.
But it’s not just ditching the sweatpants, we at InStyle did some highly scientific research (well, we drunk Cava and swapped horror stories) into the 5 biggest relationship deal breakers…
- DON’T CALL HIM BAE IN PUBLIC. Or Boo. Or baby. Or any other variation of this. Throw baby talk his way in front of his friends and he’ll Danny Zuko you faster than you can wail, ‘what happened to the Danny I met at the beach?!’ (And yes you will have to say this in an Australian accent).
- DON’T ASK TO BORROW HIS RAZOR – what is this, an agony column from 1962 I hear you cry? Well, maybe this advice has been brought to you by Betty Draper’s Guide to Keeping a Man but sharing razors is beyond TMI. Or avoid this issue completely of course and a date a Hoxton hipster with beard
- DON’T BE A PSYCHO – easier said then done we know. But no one ever said on their deathbed, ‘ never mind all that money I raised for the ice bucket challenge, what I’m most proud of in my life? Is when I sewed prawns in that cheating estate agent’s curtains’. Stay classy girls.
- DON’T WAKE HIM UP AT 4AM TO DISCUSS YOUR RELATIONSHIP – no one ever got the answers they wanted at 4am. In fact 100 percent of people surveyed said they got, ‘ It’s 4am. Go back to bed’. If you’re really turning into angsty bed monster then get up and watch Jeremy Kyle instead on ITV player. It’ll make you feel like you have the most functional relationship ever.
- DON’T FORGET WITH THE RIGHT PERSON? THERE ARE NO RULES. You weren’t expecting that were you. And we know it’s the sort of thing your mum would say. But yep, it’s true, if it feels like too much work, do yourself a favour and get an Uber out of there. Remember, don’t stay with the wrong person, life’s too short (and so is Kourtney Kardashian..)