Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift and Kanye West, Justin Bieber breaking down in tears… VMA 2015 gifs might be all over your newsfeed, but here are all the details you might not know from last weekend’s Video Music Awards.
1. Miley's Moschino Wardrobe. Miley Cyrus made a whopping 11 costume changes, including a silver belt top and inflatable pink latex dress. Miley was mainly dressed by Moschino designer Jeremy Scott, but cult Australian fashion brand Di$count Univer$e weren’t very happy with Hannah Montana’s final outfit. Posting on their Instagram, Di$count Univer$e designers Nadia and Cami said that they were “distraught” over Miley’s one-leg sequin jumpsuit, which looks similar to Di$count’s last collection.
2. Nicki v Taylor v Miley. Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift truly buried the hatchet with their opening performance of Trini Dem Girls, The Night Is Still Young and Bad Blood, but while this pair hugged it out following July’s Twitter beef over VMA nominations, Nicki refused to let the issue drop with Miley. Why? Calling out the VMA host live on air over comments made in a recent interview, where Miley said Nicki made the Taylor feud “all about her”, Nicki isn’t backing down on standing up for racial equality.
3. Kanye For President. Kanye West’s acceptance speech for Video Vanguard 2015 was twelve minutes of pure Kanye. After being presented with the award by Taylor Swift (who reminded Kanye about how they met on that very stage six VMAs ago…), Kanye apologised for his naughty behaviour, refused to apologise for standing up for artists and announced that he will be running for president in 2020. The White House have taken note, and say they “look forward to seeing what slogan he chooses to embroider on his campaign hat”.
4. Naked And Famous. The dress code was clearly ‘naked’, as high hemlines and sheer panels showed off a lot of toned bodies on that rainbow carpet. Chrissy Teigen looked stunning in black Marchesa, Rita Ora opted for feathers in Vera Wang and FKA Twigs rocked a cage corset Versace gown. Nicki Minaj and Britney Spears both wore curve-hugging sheer gold looks by Labourjoisie, and we all know what Miley didn’t wear (clue: clothes).
5. Vanessa And Her Sister. One A-lister who didn’t get the memo? Vanesaa Hudgens, who turned up with little sis Stella wearing Naeema Khan. The blush-pink floral appliqué ball gown was topped off with piles of boho bangles and floral hair accessories, and can be yours in red for the low low price of £8k. Before the performances started, the pair spent the night cuddling up to some cute puppies, too. Erm, best night ever?
6. Squad Goals. Taylor Swift’s girl gang were out in force to support their nine-time VMA nominee, but did you notice Karlie’s outfit? The Victoria’s Secret Angel wore orange Louis Vuitton, but topped off the outfit with gold flat sandals. Flats?! On the red carpet?! What would Cannes say?! We say go you, Karlie. At 6 foot 1, Karlie still towered above her BFFs, and all the better to dance the night away in, right?
7. The Dead Petz. We weren’t sure anything could top Beyonce’s surprise pregnancy announcement at the VMAs in 2011, but closing the show, Miley took a tip from Queen B and dropped a secret album called Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz. With 23 new tracks, the EP is streaming for free online, launched by a glitter-bomb performance of Dooo It! that MTV censored heavily. Hannah Montana definitely isn’t here any more…
8. Tweet Tweet. All this drama made VMAs 2015 the most Tweeted about TV show ever since tracking began, excluding the Superbowl and its infamous half-time show. In the US alone, 21.4 million tweets were sent, with the most tweets sent after Kanye’s presidency announcement. The Nicki Minaj x Miley Cyrus live exchange has been viewed billions of times, with stats 69% up from last year. In a word? Wow.
Until next year, VMAs…