With the news just announced that Kate Middleton has gone into labour and the birth of the Royal baby just hours away, we’ve got the top ten facts you need to know about the future King or Queen.
- The most popular names for the new baby are George for a boy, and Alexandra, one of the Queen's middle names, for a girl.
- Prince Harry has been relegated to fourth in line for the throne as his new niece or nephew now follows Prince Charles and Prince William in the line of succession.
- The Royal tot will follow in the footsteps of its father and uncle, Princes William and Harry, by being born in the Lindo Wing in St Mary’s hospital in Paddington. Previous heirs to the throne were born in Buckingham Palace or at home.
- The baby will be titled Prince or Princess of Cambridge, following on from its parents Kate and Wills who were given the titles the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the occasion of their marriage in 2011. It won’t necessarily have a surname, but if Kate and William wish to give the baby one, they can choose from Mountbatten-Windsor, Wales or Cambridge.
- The Royal baby will be christened in a replica of a christening robe that the Royals have been using since 1841. The original was made for the christening of Queen Victoria’s first daughter.
- Prince William has admitted that he’d like two children, so perhaps we can expect another Royal baby announcement next year?
- The Royal baby has already had a law passed in his or her name, ensuring that whether it’s a boy or a girl, it will one day be a monarch. Previously, girls were not automatically entitled to the throne, but since the Succession to the Crown Act came into effect in April the baby will definitely become monarch regardless of its gender.
- The Royal birth will be announced on an easel outside Buckingham Palace, following the same tradition that announced Prince William’s birth. It will list the gender of the baby and the time of birth but we’ll have to wait for a further announcement to find out the name of the new addition.
- If born on 22 July 2013, the baby will celebrate its birthday one month and one day after his or her father Prince William, who was born on 21 June. It will be born under the star sign Leo.
- The Royal baby is reportedly related to pop royalty Beyoncé and Jay Z’s daughter Blue Ivy Carter. Ancestry researchers found out the two famous babes will be 23