We got majorly into Sunday night spy (and sex) fest, The Night Manager… A bit because John Le Carre’s story is so great, a bit because of the excellent cast (including Olivia Colman, Tom Hollander, Hugh Laurie and Elizabeth Debicki) and a LOT because of Tom Hiddleton as Jonathan Pine (a.k.a the night manager).
It’s truly not just because of #Hiddlesbum, but we’re suddenly Hiddlestoners (‘A devotee of the cult of Hiddles – someone who worships the glory that is Tom Hiddleston’, according to Urban Dictionary). Here's why...
1. The dance-off of ALL dance-offs between T-Hids and Taylor Swift... Kind of awkward? And now Hiddleswift is a thing, we're not sure what to think about it.
2. He snuggled a baby leopard on James Corden's The Late, Late Show. Need we say more?!
3. The dude can yodel - how many people can actually say that?! Hiddles showed off his supreme talent on Jimmy Kimmel Live! where he was chatting about his role as country singer Hank Williams in upcoming film I Saw the Light. 'I was very dedicated. I went down to Nashville and lived with a musician called Rodney Crowell,' he explained. 'I can yodel now. There comes a time in a man’s life when he’s called upon to yodel.'
4. He’s notoriously private – and seemingly has zero Instagram presence which is the 2016 equivalent of being dark and mysterious.
5. He’s a solid feminist. Swoon. He's worn a 'This Is What A Feminist Looks Like', backed up Emma Watson and even got naked, in Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak, for the cause: ‘I didn’t have a problem with the nakedness, because I felt that there’s always been a strain of sexuality in Gothic romance, as much as there has been the fear of death and the threat of violence [… f we’re going to bring up the violence we needed to bring up the sense of sexuality.’
‘It’s so often in movies that women are more naked than men and that’s unfair. We wanted to sort of redress the balance.’
6. He’s WELL CLEVER. He’s beautifully eloquent and got a double first in Classics from Cambridge University.
7. He’s potentially dating the beautiful Elizabeth Olsen, though both of them are fiercely private and profesh.
8. He’s just so dreamy. Those swimming pool scenes…
9. He seems so genuinely nice! Everyone says it… old friends, fellow actors, EVERYone. One said: ‘Tom is the consummate gentleman, pleasant to everybody he meets, from royalty down to the lowliest runner on set […] You’ll struggle to find anyone with a bad word to say about him.’
10. He’s the ultimate English posh boy — an impressive family tree, Eton then Oxbridge and adorably self-depreciating but not, as some people think, a self-entitled public school boy. He’s a fiercely dedicated, tirelessly hardworking and driven actor (so they say).
11. He’s got an impressively varied acting CV, starting way back at uni: Unrelated, Thor, Avengers Assemble, Midnight In Paris, Only Lovers Left Alive and now The Night Manager.
12. He might be Bond. Is there anything cooler? He was cute about it too, saying: ‘I’m a huge fan . . . it would be an extraordinary opportunity.’
13. He’s mates with Chris Hemsworth and Benedict Cumberbatch.
14. He’s big into charity work and it took him to Guinea in West Africa with UNICEF UK in 2013.
15. His favourite music video is Weapon Of Choice by Fatboy Slim… You know, that one with Christopher Walken?
16. And, even with all that excellentness, he doesn't take himself too seriously.
17. He really doesn't pander to interviewers — at all. He keeps quashing rumours on the red carpet... Bond, and now a second series of The Night Manager. At the premiere in LA, he said: 'As it stands, Pine exists for six hours in a mini-series. The story feels complete [...] I know the rumours about it extending, but none of that is real'.
What a babe.