The moment that broke a thousand Gosling fans' hearts
The Notebook split opinion the first time round – you either sobbed uncontrollably or eye-rolled until you strained your suspensory ligament – so news earlier this year that the hit film is being made into a TV series probably evoked a similar reaction.
Let’s just quickly run over the film for anyone who’s a bit rusty. MASSIVE spoiler alert: Basically, Noah and Allie are a young couple in the 1940s, they fall in love despite discouragement from her family, they break up and then - in a nutshell - end up together. In a heart-breaking twist at the end of the film, it's revealed Noah is telling their love story to Allie, who is suffering from Alzheimer’s, in a nursing home.
Mark Pedowitz, president of The CW, the network that is running the new show, confirmed the rumours that unlike the film, the new show will focus on the couple after being reunited post World War II.
The official line says: 'This series will follow the romantic journey of the two beloved central characters Noah and Allie, at the outset of their blossoming relationship as they build their lives and their future together against the backdrop of the racial politics, economic inequities, and social mores of post-World War II of the late 1940s in North Carolina.'
Nicholas Sparks, the author of the 1996 romantic novel, is teaming up with The CW where he will join Theresa Parks in co-executive producing the show.
Though unfortunately Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams won’t be returning to their roles as Noah and Allie, we’re still psyched. And intrigued.
Casting and release date is unknown at this stage but watch this space…
Feeling nostalgic? let's look back at the 14 best ever Notebook quotes... (We challenge you not to well up at least a tiny bit at #6)
1. 'I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough..'
2. 'You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.'
3. 'She was my dream. She made me who I am, and holding her in my arms was more natural to me than my own heartbeat.'
4. 'I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours.'
5. 'Every great love starts with a great story...'
6. 'So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.'
7. 'The scariest thing about distance is that you don’t know whether they’ll miss you or forget you.'
8. 'She would tell him what she wanted in her life - her hopes and dreams for the future - and he would listen intently and then promise to make it all come true. And the way he said it made her believe him, and she knew how much he meant to her.'
9. 'It's the possibility that keeps me going, not the guarantee.'
10. 'I lost you once, I think I can do it again.'
11. 'Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them we've found each other... I know I've spent each life before this one searching for you. Not someone like you but you, for your soul and mine must always come together.'
12. 'Every girl is beautiful. Sometimes it just takes the right guy to see it.'
13. 'But he had been in love once, that he knew. Once and only once, and a long time ago. And it had changed him forever. Perfect love did that to a person and this had been perfect.'
14. 'The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.'
Want to watch it again? Us, too.
Read more: 39 Sex and the City quotes we'll never forget...