Taylor Swift says fame isn’t really all that hard, and we like her thinking. We celebrate seven times the Blank Space singer told it like it is
Taylor Swift has shattered the illusion of the constantly exhausted pop-star, claiming that fame isn’t actually ‘that hard’. The multi-platinum selling global superstar dropped the truth-bomb to Nick Grimshaw before Norwich’s Big Weekend, claiming that the whole world-tour paparazzi lifestyle is ‘made out to be harder than it is’.
We’re not sure we’d be quite as calm as Swifty criss-crossing the globe on three hours sleep a night after performing to millions of screaming fans, but she insists the exhaustion is her favourite part; ‘that's the best part of this – when you walk off stage and you're drenched in sweat and you're tired and your legs hurt … it feels like you're really working for the job. I'm like, 'Oh my God, I'm finally doing something.'’
We also totally relate to her tour essential – ‘any kind of coffee I can get. I'm that sort of person that needs coffee every day or I feel like something's a little weird’. Taylor is our kinda girl! Whether she’s getting real about love or obsessively Instagramming her cat Meredith, we celebrate seven times Taylor was just like us.
1. She still sends silly text messages to her best friends. But instead of the girl you’ve known since primary school, Taylor’s best friend is Ed Sheeran. Casual.
2. Taylor got real about romance, calling out the media for labelling her ‘boy crazy’. ‘There’s no easy way for me to engage with romance. It’s a good thing that I feel really independent, but I was shamed into it. When you have two boyfriends in one year and everyone’s calling you boy crazy, making jokes about you at awards shows, that’s public humiliation, and I don’t think it's fair.
3. Taylor might be the golden girl of pop, but she’s not afraid to stick up for herself. Bad Blood references an anonymous mean girl – heavily rumoured to be Katy Perry - who Taylor described as her ‘straight-up enemy’. ‘The individual basically tried to sabotage an entire arena tour’, Taylor revealed, but wouldn’t be drawn into naming names for a public slanging match. We respect that dignified silence, girl.
4. She still gets embarrassed by her Mum – and shares it on social media. But Swift says ‘my mum is really good at putting things back into perspective for me’.
5. Break ups? Forget conscious uncoupling. That might have worked for Gwyneth, but Taylor is a girl after our own hearts when it comes to dealing with relationships. ‘I think I am smart unless I am really, really in love, and then I am ridiculously stupid’. We hear that.
6. Who runs the world? Girls, duh. Taylor is loud and proud about her feminist views, respecting and admiring ‘girls far more than any of the men around me. You have to stick together and, whether you label yourself as a feminist or not, it’s important that we address equal rights’.
7. Taylor is really that friend you turn to when you need a pep-talk. Whether through her lyrics or Googling Tumblr quotes, Swift has some serious pearls of wisdom. Need one now? How about this; ‘Fearless is getting back up and fighting for what you want over and over again....even though every time you've tried before you've lost’.