Elle Woods in Legally Blonde = total badass. So the plotline might be a teeny bit far-fetched (cough) but the film - starring our very own August cover star Reese Witherspoon - is still one of our favourite post break-up you-go-girl movies ever. Here's why...
1) Things don't start off well. As you'll remember, Elle (Reese)'s awful boyfriend Warner dumps her because he's going to Harvard and wants 'a Jackie not a Marilyn' - what a douche
2) She decides to show him what he's missing by applying for Harvard Law School herself. Easy, right?
Obviously she nails the entrance exam
3) Then breezes through the inevitable first meeting with Warner
4) Only to endure every woman's nightmare first encounter with the new girlfriend, who is now his fiancée
5) Who screws her over by telling her the party she's been invited to is fancy dress.
But look how she styles it out like a dude:
Elle Woods 1, Unfriendly Fiancée 0
6) At the same time she befriends a nail technician who has also come out of a bad break-up
7) And helps her move on with helpful advice (and some questionable flirting techniques)
8) Then she scores an intern spot on a juicy murder trial. Of course she does!
9) Only to save the day when the head attorney turns out to be a total perve
10) Getting some sage advice from a cool older lawyer along the way
11) When she saves the day Warner attempts to take her back - the classic ex boyfriend 'I want you back now I've realised how amazing you are' shtick
'If I'm going to be a partner in a law firm by the time I'm 30' she tells him 'I need a boyfriend who's not such a complete bonehead.'
12) And there's the final Big Hollywood Speech:
13) See what we mean? Basically the fantasy post break-up scenario.
Read our full interview with Reese Witherspoon in our August issue, on sale this Thursday