Meeting the family is always a bit intense, but Kate Middleton really had a big job on her hands when she first met Prince William’s family – it being the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince Phillip and all. (Prince Harry, not such a scary prospect…)
But it seems she totally NAILED it, if her interview for Our Queen At 90, the ITV documentary celebrating Queen Elizabeth II’s birthday, is anything to go by.
It’s kind of amazing to hear – it’s Kate’s FIRST solo interview (can you believe it?!) – and she talks about family life for the Cambridges, including the role Charlotte and George’s royal grandmother plays in their lives.
Here's Duchess Kate on the Queen, in her very own words. #Grandmother-In-lawGoals...
1. ‘She’s been very generous and not forceful at all with her views’
2. ‘I feel she’s been there sort of as a gentle guidance really for me’
3. ‘She always leaves a little gift or something in her room when we go and stay and I think that just shows her love for her and our family’
4. ‘She was very supportive’
5. ‘She took the time to make sure that I was happy and looked after on that particular occasion […] which shows just how caring she is really’
6. ‘The Queen was really thrilled that we’d had a little girl and when we came back here to Kensington she was one of her first visitors’
7. ‘I think she’s very fond of Charlotte – always watching what she’s up to. George is only two and a half and he calls her Gan Gan.’
8. ‘The most memorable engagement for me was an away day to Leicester [with the Queen] and I went without William so I was rather apprehensive about that’
9. ‘I decided to make [the Queen] my granny’s recipe of chutney. I was worried about it, but I noticed next day it was on the table […] Such a simple gesture went such a long way for me.’
And a couple more gems…
‘I think there is a real art to walkabouts. Everyone teases me in the family that I spend far too long chatting so I think I’ve still got to learn a little bit more and pick up a few more tips’
‘It’s very special having a new little girl to the family — very lucky that George has got a little sister’
Read More: Kate Middleton Fashion Moments: 99 Of Her Most Memorable Looks
The Queen At 90 airs at 8pm on Sunday 27th March 2016 on ITV.