Wait, they stayed together?!
Love Actually’s director Richard Curtis and his wife Emma Freud hit up a midnight screening of the Christmas classic at the weekend, and Emma got a little overexcited with the live tweeting.
Posting nearly 70 messages on Twitter throughout the film, Emma revealed some pretty amazing things we never knew about Love Actually. You can read her full commentary right at the bottom of this article, but here’s the important stuff:
1. Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman (aka Karen and Harry) left viewers confused as to what happened to them after the film, but Emma has finally answered your burning question: yes, they stayed together, but they weren’t as happy as before.
@JPerlstrom they stay together but home isn't as happy as it once was.— emma freud (@emmafreud) December 13, 2015
2. This was the first time Richard Curtis had seen the film in a cinema since its premiere in 2003.
3. Only four people turned up to this midnight screening - apart from the Curtis family, of course.
4. As Hugh Grant arrives at Downing Street, he greets a housekeeper – that’s Emma Freud’s Mum.
5. The shots of London might look a bit fake, but they weren’t green screen.
6. Emma still owns some of the wardrobe from the film, which she bought in the end of filming sale.
7. The scene where Rowan Atkinson expressively gift wraps the present was filmed at midnight in Selfridges.
8. Originally, Rowan was supposed to be an angel. The whole point of him overwrapping the present was to stop Alan Rickman buying the present for his mistress.
9. January Jones penned most of her own lines in the film.
10. Martin Freeman wore a sock during THAT scene…
11. The record industry crowd celebrating Bill Nighy's #1 was made up of Richard and Emma’s friends.
12. Richard Curtis only called Colin Firth’s character Jamie so Richard’s kids could say "I hate uncle Jamie" (Richard's brother is called Jamie).
13. Emma actually stood in for Hugh when they filmed him knocking at the door where the children dance.
14. The girl who performed the Mariah Carey song really did sing it, and she’s now on the Disney channel.
15. Richard and Emma’s daughter played the second lobster in the school concert...
16. …and their son played the child with the Spiderman face paint.
17. Apparently the first lobster’s brother had a big storyline, but it got cut.
18. Claudia Schiffer’s ‘son’ in the film was actually Emma’s son’s best friend in real life.
19. Emma played the kissing consultant in the restaurant in Portugal (it was actually filmed in Marseille, and yes, it’s real job).
20. In the original edit, Sam did parcour all the way through Heathrow airport to find his girlfriend.
21. Joanna gave Sam a handful of glitter, which is what he throws on the floor when Liam Neeson hugs him.
22. The Portuguese restaurant owner won the Biggest Moustache Of The Year award, which is why they cast him.
23. The blonde that Bill Nighy arrives at the airport with at the end of the flm is now married to Vic Reeves.
We didn't think we could take any more Love Actually excitement after this deleted scene of a lesbian romance was revealed!
If you want to read Emma's full livestream, it's below...