Brie Larson EXPLODED on to the scene this year in a flurry of award nominations for her role in Room.
Room, if you’ve been on a digital detox for the last year, is a film about Brie’s character ‘Ma’ and her five-year-old son Jack – played by the incredible Jacob Tremblay – who are kept imprisoned against their will.
She won pretty much ALL the awards for it - a Golden Globe, a BAFTA, a SAG Award, a Critics' Choice Award and now an Oscar!
It’s been kind of incredible to watch – having had smaller parts before (remember Miles Teller’s ex-gf before Shailene Woodley in The Spectacular Now?), Room has suddenly skyrocketed her onto the awards season scene. At the BAFTAs she was nominated for Best Actress and Best Newcomer – she won Best Actress.
Now there's talks she might play Captain Marvel, one of Marvel's most badass female superheroes, in an upcoming film - plus, she's also about to make her directorial debut with future indie flick Unicorn Store.
Here’s what you need to know about the offish Best Actress of the 2016 awards season…
1. Brie Larson isn’t actually her real name. She’s called Brianne Sidonie Desaulniers though she never went by Brianne and changed her surname when she got frustrated with people asking how to pronounce it. Larson isn’t totally made up though – it comes from her great-grandmother.
2. Acting isn’t something that runs in the family – her parents are both chiropractors and they ran a business together in Sacramento.
3. English isn’t her first language. She first learnt to speak French as her family is French Canadian!
4. She’s a big Disney fan with Pocahontas and The Little Mermaid as fave childhood films, along side Gone With The Wind. Hashtag eclectic!
5. She’s going out with Alex Greenwald, a singer in Phantom Planet, who she described as her ‘person’ in a CUTE acceptance speech. #PowerCouple
6. Her most admired actresses are Toni Collette, Annette Bening, Tilda Swinton, Diane Keaton (we hear ya!) and Julie Christie.
7. She nearly got mega famous a lot earlier in life, having been considered for the role of Juno (which ended up going to Ellen Page) and Leah, her bf, in Juno.
8. She’s also a professional singer! Yep, she’s one of them… She’s even made an album!
9. If she hadn’t been an actress? Guess… Librarian!
10. She’s got two dogs, one called Bowie, one called Jonathan. (Solid names, Brie.)
11. She’s got a good taste in TV (unsurprisingly), citing Game Of Thrones, Downton Abbey, South Park and The Simpsons as her fav shows. Urrrm, samesies.
12. She’s been acting since the age of seven.
13. She’s got one sister, called Mimsy.
14. She was homeschooled.
15. She’s been in more films than you’d maybe think – 21 Jump Street, 13 Going On 30, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Tanner Hall, Greenberg and Trainwreck.
16. Brie’s go-to karaoke tuuune is Usher’s Burn.
17. She's an Oscar winner! And the GIFs are too cute...
We think we’d be pals…