Books in 140 characters? Bring it on...
Whether you pile paperbacks into your hand luggage or download 2015’s hottest titles to your Kindle before you fly, lazing on a beach with a book in hand (and cocktail close by) is our idea of a great summer holiday. But, according to a recent study, young Brits are ditching stories for social media, reading Twitter instead of novels.
Samsung quizzed 1,500 young Brits about their holiday habits, and found that while 75% would be regularly checking out Instagram and Facebook at the beach (tapping on their phones 14 times a day, apparently), only 26% were planning to devour a paperback. 26% of packers thought novels were too heavy too take, and used up vital bikini space, and 24% thought books were just too long to finish.
After finding out that 1 in 10 young adults have never read a novel, Professor John Sutherland has condensed the UK’s 10 most popular beach reads into something a little more easily digestible - 140 characters.
Can you guess which books he’s talking about from the descriptions below? The answers are down below, so get guessing and scroll to see if you were right…
WARNING: SPOILERS! We can’t tell you for which novels, though…
1. Orphan 11yo Harry = wizard! Off 2wizard skool. Temp defeats Lord Voldie (whohe?) + 3 headed dog 2 bag the stone
2. Katniss+Peeta r ‘tributes’ in dystopian TVised fite2death. P <3 K. K goes wiv it, as luv story=$$$4survival. They win 2getha
3. Amy&Nick r married. Amy fakes own murder 2 frame N. (who is rite?) A manipul8s every1, killz her ex. Evil A makes N stay w/ her 4 baby L
4. 30s U.S,6yo Scout+bro Jem try2c recluse Boo. Dad=lawyer4Tom, innocent black victim2racist trial. S+J attackd, saved by B & lern life-lessn
5. Holly+Gerry r married. G dies> H is :’( … But yay! 10 letters frm G each mnth (all end w/ I Love You) makes her J ++
6. Sweden: Man hired 2 find missing niece. Girl w/tattoo also investig8s. Find rape+murder conspiracy in $$$clan> exposed. Revenge=sweet
7. Corpse in Louvre=coded msg! Symbologist man + cryptologist wman (chased by killer Xtian sect). Solve it: rveals truth bout Jesus!
8. Shy meek Ana meets V rich control freak + BDSM dom: Christian Grey. Mild erotica + Xtreme wealth in feminism-free zone
9. 20thC Pride+Prej:Bridget’s 30+, sgl <3 booze+cigs+frends. Troubles w/diet,job+men + Y are guys crzy abt a grl’s 4XXXL undrpnts??
10. Noah reads lifestory 2 sum1: Bak frm WW2, tries 2get bak w/Allie tho now Lon’s fiancée. Sum1=Allie now w/Alzheimer’s but 2gether @last! :’(
Have these Twitter summaries got you itching to pick up a paperback? These Summer Speed Reads are all available to download on to the The Samsung Galaxy S6 edge now.
Ready for the answers? Scroll down!
1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, J. K. Rowling (1997)
2. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins (2008)
3. Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn (2012)
4. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee (1960)
5. P.S. I Love You, Cecelia Ahern (2004)
6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson (2005)
7. The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown (2003)
8. Fifty Shades of Grey, E. L. James (2011)
9. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding (1996)
10. The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks (1996)