Beyoncé has just raised the bar another few massive notches, since she released her fifth album last night (December 12), without ANY prior promotion or warning. Now this is the kind of surprise we like.
The 32-year-old singer released the album, called simply Beyoncé exclusively to iTunes. So no promotion, and an album title that's simply her name. This is one lady with a lot of influence.
But wait, that's not all. Accompanying the 14-track album, are 17 (yes, SEVENTEEN) music videos that Bey and her team filmed in secret, making this a truly 'visual album'. Bey has been recording and filming for over a year-and-a-half, all over the world. Seriously, how did she do this wihtout any of us catching on?
'I didn’t want to release my music the way I’ve done it,' Beyoncé said in a press release. 'I am bored with that. I feel like I am able to speak directly to my fans. There’s so much that gets between the music, the artist and the fans. I felt like I didn’t want anybody to give the message when my record is coming out. I just want this to come out when it’s ready and from me to my fans.'
And it looks like Beyoncé was a family affair, too: Jay Z has lent his talents to the project, and Blue Ivy has collaborated, too. Oh, and Drake and Frank Ocean are on there, as well. Natch.
Knowing that her fans wasnt to see everything, Beyoncé has kindly updated her Tumblr with stills from some of the music videos. But you can go one better: Bey has uploaded snippets from each music video onto Youtube.
Here's that tracklisting in full, and check out Blue Ivy's video below...
1. Pretty Hurts
3. Drunk in Love (Featuring JAY Z)
9. Mine (Featuring Drake)
11. Flawless (Featuring Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)
12. Superpower (Featuring Frank Ocean)
14. Blue (Featuring Blue Ivy)
1. Pretty Hurts - directed by Melina Matsoukas
2. Ghost - directed by Pierre Debusschere
3. Haunted - directed by Jonas Åkerlund
4. Drunk in Love - directed by Hype Williams
5. Blow - directed by Hype Williams
6. Angel - directed by @lilinternet
7. Yoncé - directed by Ricky Saiz
8. Partition - directed by Jake Nava
9. Jealous - directed by Beyoncé, Francesco Carrozzini & Todd Tourso
10. Rocket - directed by Beyoncé, Ed Burke & Bill Kirstein
11 .Mine - directed by Pierre Debusschere
12. XO - directed by Terry Richardson
13. ***Flawless - directed by Jake Nava
14. Superpower - directed by Jonas Åkerlund
15. Heaven -directed by Beyoncé & Todd Tourso
16. Blue - directed by Beyoncé, Ed Burke & Bill Kirstein
17. **BONUS VIDEO - Grown Woman - directed by Jake Nava
By Olivia Marks