By Tory Kingdon
News is in that Elton John will be writing the songs for the forthcoming Devil Wears Prada musical. Cue excited squeals about having new material to replace impassioned “The Circle of Liiiiifee” renditions.
It was announced in 2015 that the 2006 film - based on the 2003 novel by Lauren Weisberger - is headed to Broadway for a musical adaptation. The man responsible for Rent and Avenue Q will be behind it, and now Elton’s been roped in, too.
The announcement got us thinking about the movie and how the coldest quips from Miranda Priestly, Emily and Nigel might be translated into song. So we had to revisit them - remember these ingeniously icy moments from the put-down queens?
1. When Miranda made it very clear you need to bring your A-game to editorial meetings.
2. When Nigel first spotted Andy... "Who is that sad little person? Are we doing a before-and-after piece I don't know about?"
3. And then he asked Emily, and she gave her cutting opinion on the new girl.
4. When Miranda told Emily that silence is preferable, but not in a subtle way.
5. Everyone is better off staying quiet around Miranda Priestly.
6. When Andy said she had evening plans and was met with this brutal put down.
7. When Miranda told Andy she didn't have any fashion sense and then shut her down the minute she tried to respond.
8. And when she made it clear to Andy she needed to pick up the pace.
9. Not many people escape super harsh judgement from Miranda. Remember this?
10. Just a look is enough to feel the full force of it.
11. When Miranda was brutally honest about her decision to hire Andy. Ouch.
12. When Emily expressed her disbelief with the most cutting display of sarcasm.
13. But Andy could play her at her own game occasionally. When Emily asked if she delivered the book...
14. When Miranda saw no reason why her coffee shouldn't be on her desk when she gets to work
15. And who can forget the cerulean blue sweater scene? Never will anyone forget how the chain of fashion really works.