Ladies, we know you’re curious and everything, but it’s none of your beeswax why another woman doesn’t have kids. Maybe she’s been trying for years and it just hasn’t happened. Perhaps (gasp!) she has simply decided she doesn’t want to have babies. Whatever the reason, it’s pretty annoying to be constantly quizzed about such a personal matter on a regular basis.
So imagine if you were a celebrity. Jennifer Aniston is just one of many women in the public eye who has spoken out on the matter. Ladies with no babies, take inspiration and store these responses up for the next time you get one of those annoying comments (see our list of the worst offenders, bottom).
‘There’s all sorts of reasons why children aren’t in people’s lives, and no-one has the right to assume. It’s quite rude, insulting and ignorant.’
‘I think they’re adorable and funny and sweet, and then I have a headache’
‘We’ve decided that we are not really interested in having children. We got a puppy, and that’s my idea of starting a family. People say, “Oh, that’s practice for parenting,” but if it’s practice for anything it’s to be a mom to another puppy.’
‘Like every woman is dying to give birth! I don’t think so. Nobody asks a guy that’
‘I have a wonderful life. In some ways I have the life that I have because I don’t have children. It’s just a different choice.’
Top 10 Irritating Things You Can Say To A Lady With No Babies
1. ‘You’re 35? You’d better hurry up and start a family!’
No-one can hear her biological clock ticking louder than the woman you have just said this to. So thanks for that.
2. ‘You’re tired? You have no idea what it’s like to be tired until you have kids.’
Yeah, whatever. Yawn.
3. ‘You wouldn’t understand. When you’re a parent…’
When you’re a parent…you just become incredibly patronising?
4. ‘When you’re a mummy…’
You start talking like a child?
5. ‘When are you going to finally have kids?’
A particularly moronic thing to say to a couple who have been together for a long time. Do the math.
6. ‘Do you think you’ll move to the country when you have kids?’
WHEN I have kids?
7. ‘You might change your mind in a few years.’
Or maybe I won’t because I’ll have loads more money than you.
8. ‘But what about when you’re old?’
I’ll be in a retirement home with you (what, you thought your kids would let you come and live with them?!)
9. ‘Don’t you want to have a family?’
I do have a family. Husband, mum, dad, brother, sister etc…
10. ‘Do you want to come on holiday with us? We can only go during the school holidays though.’